I love direct marketing.
Starting in the list business gave me a solid foundation in learning about audiences, demographics and database marketing; then, working in all media helping Boardroom sell millions of newsletter subscriptions and consumer books put all of that list training to good use.
While direct mail is my bread and butter…I’ve overseen the mailing of approximately 1.3 billion pieces of third class mail over the past 20 years…I have been able to market and sell newsletters and books via direct response television (infomercials) and using e-mail and the Internet in huge numbers.
At the height of our infomercial success, I was responsible for buying media in excess of $80 million and we sold over 3 million books via direct response television over a three year period.
And since I’ve never met a medium I didn’t like, I’ve learned the ins and outs of every possible medium where direct marketing lives and thrives.
I’m proud to have cut my teeth in the offline world of direct marketing and I am finding that the principles I’ve followed over the past 30+ years all apply to any and all “new media.” I am committed to educating any and all online marketers who will listen…and I am also committed to “learning while teaching” because there is still so much to learn.
And in my free time you’re likely to catch me working with my other passion – being an umpire for Little League Baseball.
Other Interviews and Articles
- From Copyblogger: 3 Lessons Learned from a Titan of Copywriting
- The Three Most Guarded Direct Marketing Secrets – Perry Marshall Interviews Brian Kurtz
- The I Love Marketing podcast interviews Perry Marshall and Brian on the 80/20 principle as it applies to sales and marketing…based on Perry’s groundbreaking book
- Everyone is going right…time to go left: Joe Polish interviews Brian on the power of direct mail
- Brian Kurtz discusses the power of newsletters with Mike Capuzzi
- My talk with Daniel Levis about what it was like to work with some of the greatest direct marketers of all time…Dick Benson, Gene Schwartz, Marty Edelston
- Building a List of 9 Million Names WITHOUT the Internet
- List Management Mastery
- Keynote Address at AWAI Bootcamp
- What the World’s Smartest People Do When They Want to Go to the Next Level (interview)
- Interview with Joshua Boswell on The Voice of Wealth (also be sure to check out Joshua’s site)
- What 31 Years In The Trenches Teaches You About Marketing That Works (interview)
- Direct Marketer of the Year (article)